Saturday 28 January 2012

Back Again

I'm not going to talk about England.  I fear anything I say today will be too emotional, too reactionary and of no relevance to the actual cricket that took place.  May mention something about it next week when I've calmed down...or the week after.

PUBLIC ENEMIES


Watched this flick on Thursday night.  I'm a big fan of both Depp and Bale, and had heard good things about it.  So with Kate out at Frankie & Bennys with her chums, an Asda beef and rosemary potatoes ready meal and a four pack of Caffreys were my companions as I threw the switch on the DVD player.

The Caffreys was the best part of the night.

Aside from a lot of tommy gun fire, the film did absolutely bugger all for me.  It may as well have been a cartoon.  Nothing was done to bring the characters of Dillinger and Purvis to life, so (spoiler alert) at the climatic end of the film when Dillinger is gunned down outside of a Chicago theatre, the only emotion I felt was relief that I could go and wash the dishes (made dirty by a woefully insubtantial peppercorn sauce) and get on with my life.  Very disappointing.

LUCKY ESCAPE


I had to pause before writing this next bit, as I had to remember that it is somewhat fortunate that I'm able to write it at all.  I probably shouldn't even be here.

It happened on Tuesday night, just outside Ormskirk.  It seemed such an innocent thing to do, but on reflection it could have been the last thing I ever did in my short life.

I tried to bowl one of my filthy slow off cutters.  Nothing scary about that.  I pitched it up.  Quite unusual, but nothing alarming.  To Mark Waring. OK, now its getting scary.  My God, I just bowled a lollipop to the best straight driver at Maghull CC, and I'm standing....STRAIGHT DOWN THE GROUND FROM HIM! My god he hit it hard, and using my super reflexes (and a natural inclination towards cowardice) I jumped out of the way.  Got a lovely centre parting for my trouble, mind.

Still not going to talk about England.  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment