Saturday 7 January 2012

Here We Go

I've been asked by many people...I've been asked by some people...I've been asked by one person "Neil, you talk a lot of rubbish.  Why don't you write a blog?" My answers...answer was always "I wouldn't think of anything to write".  This was always a lie, but I never wanted to hurt the people (person) asking feelings.  However, when 2011 gave way to 2012, I decided instead of giving up chocolate that I shouldn't be eating anyway, I would take up the electronic equivalent of a pen, and do some scribbling.

For those of you who don't know me, I suppose I should make a token effort to introduce myself.  My name is Neil J Dutton.  I'm 31 years old, despite a physical abnormality that makes me appear older.  I live in Rainford, just outside St Helens, with my incredibly tolerant girlfriend Kate.  I have played cricket for Maghull Cricket Club since 2002, and in the ten years that have passed I have held a variety of posts both on and off the field.  The role that has defined my very existence however I came into at the AGM in 2004, when I became captain of the newly formed 5th XI.  I will write a lot about this team in this blog, so I wont give too much away at this juncture.

There is an awful lot of information in my head, most of it I consider to be the truth.  Whether the wider majority agree with me has never really entered my thinking, so I shall reveal some things that I know to be true to Me, as an introduction for those who don't know me.

I PREFER WATCHING AMERICAN FOOTBALL TO ENGLISH FOOTBALL.  Have done for some time.  I was introduced to the NFL by my good friend Ian Mullin.  It was he who decided that, to increase my enjoyment, I should adopt a team.  He allocated me the Philadelphia Eagles, while he rooted for the New York Jets.  In the 11 seasons I have followed Philly, I have seen the team go to FIVE Championship games and One Superbowl.

MY ENGLISH FOOTBALL TEAM IS SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY. This fact may explain why I would seek solace in a completely different sport.

AFTER MY GIRLFRIEND, A LONG AND DISTANT SECOND PLACE, I CONSIDER NATALIE PORTMAN THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN ON THE PLANET. This is one of the facts that I always find hardest to understand why people disagree with me.

I GENUINELY ENJOY WINDING PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE ME UP. A trait I share with my dad.  If at first impression you don't like me, you'll probably never like me.  So I ain't wasting time trying to change your mind.

I AM AN UNASHAMED TREKKIE. I've been watching Star Trek since I was three years old.  I cried at the cinema during "Nemesis" when Data died.  Hey, I'd known Data for 16 years at that point.  I hadn't know my oldest friend that long.

There are many more facts like this, but an openers job is to see off the shine, not go for the jugular from ball one.  I will be back.  You can count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment