Friday 3 February 2012

Things I Know I Know

Lots to talk about this week, but I want to get straight into a special article, the first ever guest article in this blog.  Its been written by my good friend Mr Paul Mainwaring, who may be known to some as @mainzey7.  With the Superbowl approaching, he has decided to draw attention to a side that won the big game some twenty years ago.  So here it is.


This used to be a day my team played


Of course you all see the Washington Redskins as old stars being overpaid, coaches being fired and being only one of 2 teams who haven’t won their division in the new millennium (in the NFL that is basically impossible), but I remember a better time.

I started watching the NFL when I was 8 or 9 when the NFC was dominant and one of the most consistent teams in the NFC was my Washington Redskins. I liked the colours and I liked Joe Gibbs and most of all I liked the winning. The Skins, Giants and 49ers dominated this time and the Skins were my team, whereas the Giants and 49ers seem to be riddled with franchise & hall of fame players the Skins didn’t. There were groups like the Hogs and the Fun Bunch. I mean can you name the starting QB’s on the 3 Gibbs Super Bowl winning teams (its Theismann, Williams and Rypien in case you couldn’t) and for some reason this is why I loved this Franchise.

Now when people start talking about the best NFL teams ever people always point to a Niners team, the Cowboys with the triplets, the 70’s Steelers or the 85 bears, well I have another one, this team was:

1st in Scoring
2nd in Points Allowed
1st in Turnover Ratio
QB threw for 3500
RB ran over 1000

It went 14-2 (both losses by 3 points) then crushed all 3 teams it played in the playoffs winning Superbowl 26, ladies and gents I give you the 1991 Washington Redskins

What a team (emphasis on team). In Washington it’s called the bandwagon year (coined by Tony Kornheiser who pronounced this team would win the Superbowl in week 2). This team is now 20 years old which means firstly I am getting old and secondly my team hasn’t be relevant for a long long time. I know everyone loves looking forward and living in the past 5 years but if you ever get a spare hour or so watch the NFL Americas game and You Tube this team it’s a fun one.

Now I look forward to the Skins selling the Franchise for a QB who will stink and then we can see if we can get Gruden after we fire Shanahan, when will we ever learn…. Hopefully soon


Paul Mainwaring
My thanks to Mainzey for his contribution today, I hope to get a regular offering from him.
PROPER GANGSTER FILMS
After ripping Public Enemies to pieces last week, I thought I should educate anyone reading this as to what a REAL Gangster film is like.  I therefore present my top five.
ROAD TO PERDITION - Great film, based on a graphic novel.  Features Tom Hanks against type as a Mafia hitman, going rogue aginst his employer (Paul F**king Newman, as he's known in Trainspotting) after his wife and youngest son are killed by his boss's son (played by Daniel Craig).  Also features Jude Law as a creepy assasain.  This films ending was revealed to me by some inconsiderate bint coming out of Screen 7 in the Odeon.  Gobshite.
GOODFELLAS - Would be worth consideration for the soundtrack alone, especially the use of the instrumental from "Layla" during a scene in which countless bodies are found.  De Niro is quite excellent as the psychotic Jimmy Conway (he actually was barred from visiting the actual criminal Jimmy Burke as he kept badgering him), while Joe Pesci's "Why my funny?" rant is the stuff of legend.  Ray Liotta's angry eyes serve him well as Henry Hill.
THE UNTOUCHABLES - I love this film.  The fact that the costumes were designed by Giorgio Armani tells you something about the style of it.  Sean Connery famously forgets his character was Irish, but still steals the show, especially with his now famous "Here's how you get Capone" speech, but also with his fatal pronouncement that its "just like a wop to bring a knife to a gun fight".  De Niro once again is awesome as Al Capone.  If you want a true biographical account of Eliott Ness and his efforts to bring down Capone, DON'T watch this film.  If you want style, honour, loyalty and a nod to scruples...Get on it.
THE GODFATHER, PART TWO - First sequel ever to win the Oscar for Best picture, the narrative is split between the rise of Vito Corleone (played as an adult by that man again De Niro) and the consolidation of power by Michael.  As good a film as you could wish to watch, stands alone and as part of a great duology (the third is shit, stay away).  Michael's descent into the man he tried to avoid becoming is gripping.  Which can only leave one film at the top of the tree, which is...
THE GODFATHER - One of the finest films ever made.  Marlon Brando is wonderful as the head of the Corleone family, in a story "about a family, who just happen to be criminals, rather than a criminal family".  Great supporting performances from Pacino, James Caan (before the Dragons Den), Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton, I have heard that this the most quoted movie in OTHER movies in history.  Awesome
A PLEA TO BLACKPOOL
Hi Blackpool, its me your old pal Neil.  Hows it going?
Look, we've known each other for a long time.  Had a lot of good times during the years.  But I need you to do me a favour.  LOSE TO SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, will you?
Thanks
If The Tangerines (stupid nickname) do indeed lose to my beloved Owls, this will tee up an FA Cup 5th round tie at Goodison Park against Everton.  I used to work for Everton, and have been waited to go back to Goodison as a Wednesday fan since 2000.  Even if we'd start as massive underdogs, it would be great to be back in a Premiership stadium watching Wednesday play.  Please...
SUPER SUNDAY
Superbowl 46 hits Indianapolis this sunday, in a repeat of the clash between New England and the New York Giants from 2008 in Glendale, Arizona.  I personally hate both teams with a passion, so I am free to watch in glorious neutrality.  But here are a few pointers from me as to how I think things need to happen.
FOR THE PATRIOTS TO WIN - They need to neutralise the NY pass rush.  Led by human wrecking ball Jason Pierre-Paul, if there is one thing the Giants like to do its rush the passer.  The Patriots, led by future Hall of Fame QB Tom Brady will look to freak Tight End Rob Gronkowski to make big plays over the middle, but also to help the blocking up front, possibly opening the door for Wes Welker to have a big day.
FOR THE GIANTS TO WIN - Eli Manning, tied with his brother Peyton with one Superbowl win, will be looking to get the ball downfield to one of his three stud Wide Receivers, Victor Cruz Mario Manningham and Hakeem Nicks, against a very poor Patriots secondary.  They must also, using the afore mentioned pass rush, get in Bradys face.
Who will win? Don't care, wish they could both lose.  See you next week.
P.S. Still no mention of England....

No comments:

Post a Comment