Monday 9 April 2012

Its Been A While

Hello, good evening and welcome.

Seems like ages since I took to the web to scribble down my thoughts.  While I'm sure the few of you who read these words have been glad of the break, I am back once again to bring chaos and devastation.

ITS THAT TIME AGAIN


We currently sit a mere five days away from the start of the Liverpool and District Cricket Competition season.  As I stare out of the window of my Rainford home, it certainly looks like cricket weather...in that its absolutely sheeting it down.

Its not merely the weather that will threaten the start of the season on Saturday.  Its also FA Cup semi final day, and lo and behold the football gods have decided to damn us with an all Merseyside encounter.  Starting at 12:30.  Thanks for that.

There will be countless players missing from clubs all around the area, and the danger is that some sides (particularly 3rd or 4th XIs) will simply be unable to fulfil fixtures, or at least participate at any degree of their full strength.  The league has decreed that they will not allow start times to be altered.  I agree with them, despite the danger to the lower XIs.  We are a cricket competition.  We want to play cricket.

LIFE CHANGING CALL


We are getting closer and closer to the annual feasting frenzy that is the NFL Draft, and its shaping up to be the dullest opening to a draft of all time.  The top three picks are pretty much locked in and nailed on, meaning (given the time allowed between picks) that the real questions re player destinations wont start being asked until about 45 minutes into the piece.  The biggest dilemma seems to be the one facing Cleveland at number 4.  Do they keep their existing QB in place, and look to solidify around him (bringing RB Trent Richardson and WR Justin Blackmon into the equation), or do they look to bring in a new signal caller, thus over reaching and drafting Texas A&M star Ryan Tannehill FAR TOO EARLY in the piece for most experts liking? My gut feeling is that they won't, and will instead go for Richardson.  The poisoned chalice of Tannehill will then drop to the next most QB needy team, the Miami Dolphins.  After the soap opera that has been their off season, I would not like to predict what they will do.  They'll probably draft Mark Whelan.

STEEL CITY SHOOTOUT


With five games left of the League One season, the two automatic promotion spots seem destined to be filled by Charlton Athletic and ONE of the two clubs from Sheffield, United or my beloved Wednesday.  I'd be ecstatic if we got the automatic spot, however I feel that United will not slip up, meaning our draw against Walsall (dropping two points) will leave us to go up via the playoffs.  I would be confident with this route, given our outstanding home record and the huge level of momentum we have generated since Dave Jones walked into the room.  Readers of this blog will remember that I was unsure what would become the Owls when Jones replaced Megson, but I am happy to say that he has overseen a hugely impressive run for Wednesday.  Ive not given up on automatic, but I'm confident that if we have to do it with three more matches, we'll do it.

So thats it for this one.  After writing these words, I have to admit that for many reasons, and with many factors to consider, its good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment